23 December 2010

Washing Cars, 1

The current job: Washing cars.

Got this one from my cousin, who let me know that BMW was hiring a new lot attendant last December. I jumped on the opportunity, of course, and washed cars there on the weekends for the next 7 months. That was the Saturday carwash, with friendly customers, free lunch, and decent tips. In August I was offered a full time job as the lot attendant, and did that for a month. Then my cousin, who held the same job at Mercedes-Benz, went back to school and I stepped into his place.

So right now, my day consists of driving these fabulously expensive cars into the wash bay, scraping the dirt out and off of them, and driving them back out, about 30 times.

It's not bad, but my ambition (short term) is to move up to detailing, which is a much more involved form of car washing. I'm continually surprised at how much I enjoy the process of washing the car, claying it, polishing, waxing, buffing, cleaning the windows, vacuuming, dressing the rubber and photographing the results. It's slow, soothing work. Shouldn't like to do it for the rest of my life, but I could certainly spend a couple of years at it.

Since the dealership is expanding its detailing department to 3 or 4 people and a new facility, I should in theory be able to move up. In practice, who knows. Right now, it looks like the semi-retarded lot boy is going to get the promotion instead, on strength of seniority, and I may be leaving town early next year and give up my place.

At this moment, I am about as depressed as I could possibly be, for this reason and others. Fuck everything about today, fuck Christmas as well, and see you next year.

No comments: